We want everyone to feel at home posting comments on Free Speech Zone. We reserve the right to delete comments and ban users as needed to keep the comment threads here civil and substantive.
- Don't be a jerk!
- Weigh in with smart, informed ideas that contribute further to the story.
- Give us useful, constructive criticism. Spot a typo or an error? Let us know and we will correct it.
- Demonstrate and share the intelligence, wisdom, and humor we know you possess.
- Don’t feed the trolls. Don't report the troll unless they are going over-the-top. Downvote the comment instead.
Although we can’t be everywhere at once, here are some of the kinds of comments we’re going to do our best to curtail:
- Promoting your own brand, product, or blog. We offer pages and groups for that.
- URLs and links. This is often considered spam, so only include links that pertain to the topic being discussed. Spammers will be banned.
- Impersonating authors or other commenters. We can’t believe we have to say this, but: Don’t do that. It’s weird.
- Comments that make it clear you didn’t read the article.
- Comments that are completely out of left field. Sometimes discussions veer off a bit but are still related to the original subject. That is fine. Hijacking the conversation to promote off-topic commentary is not.
- Threats — no matter how vague — against the author, commenters, law enforcement, politicians, etc. We will notify the proper authorities so unless you want to see police, FBI, or Secret Service paying you a visit, don't make threats.
Finally, only flag comments that you come across as defamatory, libelous, abusive or in need of moderator intervention. Just because you do not agree with someone doesn’t mean you should flag their comment. Doing so unnecessarily will get you banned instead.